Auto Europe

  • Contact Our Specialists
    Car Rentals Worldwide
    Alamo Rental Car
    Avis Car Rental
    Budget Rental Car
    Dollar Car Rental
    National Car Rental
    Sixt Rent a Car
    Car Rentals Worldwide

    Blog Search


    Searching Blogs......

    How Do You Get an International Driving Permit?

    Road trips conjure up images of carefree holidays with the wind in your hair, either along the French Riviera feeling like a superstar or uncovering the early days of the United States along Route 66, right?

    What about miming awkwardly to a police officer at a routine traffic stop, one who can't read your licence, in a rural town in Switzerland and issuing you with a painful fine?

    Avoid any renditions of Charlie Chaplin and stay on the right side of the local road laws by making sure that your Aussie licence will be accepted in every country you plan on driving in.

    If your itinerary hops across a few countries then your best bet is to carry an International Driving Permit throughout your trip. It can help in any tricky situations where officials do not speak English and your Lithuanian/Dutch/Bulgarian is a little rusty.

    Slow down what is an International Driving Permit

    An International Driving Permit (IDP) is a United Nations recognised document which translates your Australian licence in to 9 different languages. That's English, Spanish, Japanese, Greek, German, Arabic, Russian, Chinese, and French - for those who asked. Each permit is valid for 12 months from the date of issue or until your current Australian licence expires, whichever is sooner.

    Aside from being a requirement in some countries, your permit can be a requirement to hire a vehicle from rental suppliers. You'll need to keep it together with your Australian licence and produce the two together if your rental supplier, country official or insurer requests to see them.

    You must organise the IDP before you leave Australia.>You can organise your IPD though the NRMA or you state's local AAA member. Follow the links below for your state;

    NSW/ACT - NRMA -

    VIC - RACV -

    QLD - RACQ -

    SA - RAA -

    WA - RAC -

    TAS - RACT -

    NT - AANT -


    If you have any questions on where or how to get your International Driving Permit, or are ready to get some wheels before you head abroad, contact Auto Europe Australia on 1300 656 601 or book on our online search engine tooday.

    Blog Search